Thursday, January 22, 2009

But What Do You Eat?

This is the question I get every time I meet someone new and they discover I'm one of those weirdo vegans... You know the ones, we don't eat anything that comes from anything that had a mommy and a daddy. Why this is considered an appropriate question to ask is beyond me. I mean, do I go around asking obese people "but what do you eat?" No. That would be considered rude. I would be yelled at and called insensitive. But, since everyone is going to ask I decided to take a couple of weeks and post the dinners I eat. Yup. Pictures and everything.

So, after looking back on the dinners I ate this last week I decided it wasn't a very good representation of my diet, but in the interest of full disclosure I'm gonna put it out here. As for the photos of last week's meals, I just decided to post all of this yesterday, so I only have pics of last night's dinner. I'll do better. Promise.

Let's start with Saturday, January 17. (Just because it was my birthday and for absolutely no other reason.) We went out to dinner at the new Chipotle that opened in town! I had the 3-taco basket. My tacos had black beans, rice flavored with cilantro, tomatillo salsa, lettuce and guacamole. DELISH! I did also have a diet coke, which, by-the-by, I am trying to drink much less of these days. It is very very very very bad - and I've been drinking WAAAAAAAAY too much of it. So, as you see it on my list of "foods" remember that I used to drink about 2 LITERS EVERY DAY! (yes, you heard that right, and I am ashamed), and having only one when I eat out is a proverbial giant step for me!

Sunday, January 18. I took the easy way out and heated up a pot of Amy's Organic Vegan Chili with some Vege dogs, vegan cheese and diced onions. (Rarely do we use buns because most are made with eggs or milk or both - but who needs those calories anyhow.) I think I sauteed some dandelion greens in olive oil and brown rice syrup too. Chocolate soy milk to drink. No soda today!!!!

Monday, January 19. I took the REALLY EASY way out and made everyone pick a leftover out of the fridge for dinner. I had a seitan (fake meat) sandwich with fresh lettuce, pickle relish, and vegan cheese with vegan mayo. YUM! Oh, and some white tea to drink. Again, no soda today!!

Tuesday, January 20. We had creamed spinach in filo dough, fresh steamed veges (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots), fresh fruit, and mashed potatoes. I made some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice from the fruit from Joe Lample's tree. Thanks Joe!

Wednesday, January 21. I had some organic brussels sprouts from Sprouts Market that needed cooking up. So I tossed them in olive oil and Chardonnay Oak Smoked Fleur de Sel (fancy name for chardonnay smoked salt) and sauteed them with 3-grain Tempeh, thinly sliced elephant garlic (organic), and a little brown rice syrup (organic). All this with wild rice on the side. And this I do have a photo of:







Well, that's it for now. Let me know if you want me to start posting recipes.

No comments: